With its sleek design and manual brewing technique, the Chemex brewer has gained popularity among coffee enthusiasts for delivering a clean, pure, and full-bodied cup of coffee. In this article, we will explore the benefits and details to consider when brewing your coffee with a Chemex brewer.
The Benefits of Using a Chemex Brewer
- Superior Flavor: The Chemex brewer is known for its ability to produce a clean and well-rounded cup of coffee with pronounced flavors. The thick paper filter removes any unwanted oils and sediments, resulting in a smooth and pure cup that showcases the unique characteristics of your specialty coffee.
- Fuller Coffee: The Chemex brewer uses a denser filter compared to other brewing methods, allowing for a slower extraction process. This results in a fuller extraction, yielding a rich delicious flavor, perfect for those who prefer a more robust and satisfying cup.
- Beautiful Design: The Chemex brewer’s elegant hourglass shape and polished wood collar make it a beautiful addition to any kitchen or coffee station. More than just a brew method, a Chemex a piece of art that draws interest and adds to the experience.
- Easy to Use: Brewing coffee with a Chemex brewer, like most manual brew methods, is as simple or complex as you want it to be. Its simple elegant design makes it accessible to both beginners and seasoned coffee enthusiasts. With a few basic steps, you can achieve cafe-quality results in the comfort of your own home, saving you money, and widening your scope to many more coffees (like AJ Coffee) than your local cafe carries.
Details to Consider When Using a Chemex
- Brewing Ratio: A general guideline for brewing coffee with a Chemex is to use a ratio of 1:15 coffee to water. For example, if you are using 30 grams of coffee, you would need approximately 450 milliliters of water. Adjust the ratio according to your personal preference. A good rule of thumb is 60g of coffee for 1l of water, plus enough water to account for what is left in the grounds after brewing. In this case, we’re accounting for 100g of water per 60g of coffee. For 60g of coffee, use 1.1l of water. Naturally, your taste may vary. Feel free to use weaker or stronger ratios to suit your taste.
- Grind Size: For optimal results, the Chemex brewer requires a medium-coarse grind. This ensures an even extraction while preventing over or under extraction. Experiment with different grind sizes to find the sweet spot that suits your taste preferences. Grind while your water is coming up to temperature for brewing.
- Water Temperature: Ideally, the water temperature should be between 195°F and 205°F (90°C – 96°C) for brewing with a Chemex. Boil your water and let it sit for about 30 seconds to achieve the desired temperature. Truly, this has more to do with the coffee you are brewing and less to do with your brew method. If you are just starting out, don’t worry about this so much. You can start with boiling. The coffee will be just fine.
- Brewing Technique: General wisdom says to start by pre-wetting the paper filter with hot water, then discarding the water. Honestly, I can’t be bothered when brewing for myself, and I don’t taste much of a difference at all. If you choose to skip it, you’ll be fine. However, I would rinse bleached filters, just for good measure. Add the desired amount of coffee grounds to the filter and gently shake to level the bed. Slowly and evenly pour hot water over the coffee grounds in a circular motion, ensuring that all the grounds are saturated. Allow the coffee to drip through the filter gradually, maintaining a steady pour rate. The entire brewing process should take around 3-4 minutes. A gooseneck kettle is immensely helpful in this, but it isn’t a requirement. You can get by with an ordinary kettle.
- Experiment and Enjoy: The Chemex brewer offers room for experimentation and personalization. Adjust the variables to find the perfect cup of coffee that suits your taste buds. Don’t be afraid to try different coffees, grind sizes, and pouring techniques to unlock the full potential of your Chemex brewer.
Whether you are a coffee aficionado or someone who simply enjoys a great cup of coffee, brewing with a Chemex brewer can take your coffee experience to new horizons. Embrace the process, savor the aroma, and enjoy the richly delicious results that this remarkable historic brewing method has to offer.
Enjoy your coffee, and contact us with any questions or just to say hello.